Your Kitchens Manchester plays a critical role in any family home. Although the kitchen is where food is stored, prepared and served, it is often the best place for all the family members to socialize. That is why having a kitchen in which you can relax and feel comfortable is imperative. No matter how large or minor your space is, good kitchen design is the key to creating the right kind of environment.
Top 10 Kitchen Design Tips and Guides
There are ten common mistakes that you should avoid in designing your kitchen. These errors can easily be avoided with just a little thought at the design stage. Check out the following:
- Having someone else conceptualize and design your kitchen. Keep in mind that the designer’s role is to layout the design that you want. Take note of to their advice, but make sure that you are the one giving the central concept.
If you unsure as to what the overall of your kitchen should be, ask other friends or simply look at virtual designs available on the internet. Your kitchen should reflect your taste, not your designer’s.
- Doing the entire job alone. While having a kitchen designer conceptualize the design of your kitchen alone isn’t necessarily helpful, don’t be too independent. Ask the rest of the family members or other friends for their opinion.
And unless you are skillful, don’t “build” your kitchen alone. Keep in mind, replacing damaged units and surfaces in a kitchen costs a lot. If you are in any doubt of your skills, hire someone who is an expert in building kitchens.
- Spending too much. Your kitchen should only cost up to 8% of the total market price of your house. In fact, professional home designers say that a good kitchen can cost only 5% of the total market price of your house.
However, don’t be too thrifty with things. Don’t sacrifice quality. For example, wooden counter tops are very cheap but are easily damaged broken. Better use granite or tiles; just clean it regularly to maintain its appearance.
- Exaggerated designs. Don’t invest too much on the latest fads in kitchen designs or kitchen materials. Having a stylish kitchen is not bad but take note, trends change rapidly. So better invest on classic, rustic style.
- Imprecise measurements. If you decide to design the blueprint of your kitchen, make sure that you are excellent at it. Inaccurate measurements can cost you twice the regular price of the surface that needs to be replaced.
Moreover, if you hire a professional to make the blueprint and install the materials of your kitchen, ensure that he/she is contractually liable if problems occur due to inaccurate measurements.
- Using the wrong general contractor. Hire a contractor that is expert in kitchens, rather than a general builder. To do this, ask other people, your friends for instance, about the contractors they worked with. Did he have work cleanly?
Can he work efficiently? Did you encounter a lot of problems while working with this contractor? Were you contented after the work is done?
- Changing plans. Stick to what has been planned. Don’t change plans in the middle of the work. This might cause you to spend more. Worse, you might end up having an unfinished kitchen because your budget was ruined. You don’t want to this to happen, do you?
- Paying the contractor in advance. Don’t give a large payment before the starting date. Sometimes, contractors can become lax after the payment is given to them. It would be more reasonable to give the payment after the work is done.
A kitchen fitter is far more likely to complete the job to your satisfaction if their salary depends upon it.
- Your kitchen should match the overall design of your house. Sometimes, you are so engrossed with the design of your kitchen that you become unaware that what you want isn’t the perfect match for your house. It might not be sensible to put an ultra-modern fitted kitchen in a 100-year-old cottage.
- Deciding without planning ahead. Don’t forget to pre-plan. Never make decisions on the spot. Plan ahead.
These ten tips sound simple but you’d be surprised how often they are ignored and the resulting kitchen, a big disappointment. Follow them, and you’ll surely have the perfect kitchen.